Perfectly Imperfect Produce: Box #10

Perfectly Imperfect Produce: Box #10

Produce in Box #10


What a variety this week!  From bok choy to green tomatoes to delicata squash, this box had a variety of produce!  Check out what I did with the produce below!

What's in the box?

Asparagus
Bok Choy
Sweet Potato
Oranges
Pears
Apples
Poblano Pepper
Bell Pepper
Delicata Squash
Green Tomato
Avocado
Red Leaf Lettuce
White Carrots
Purple Daikon Radish

Asparagus, Bok Choy, & White Carrots: Miso Salmon

Every time I go out to eat, I automatically scan the menu for salmon.  Salmon is one of my favorite foods as it can be cooked and flavored in so many different ways.  At the Cheesecake Factory, one of my favorites is their Miso Salmon.  Served on top of a bed of rice with five peapods, their miso salmon is sweet and savory with tastes from Asian cuisine.  Highly recommend!

When I saw the bok choy in my box, I immediately knew I was going to make a meal with Asian flavors.  As I searched through recipes with bok choy, I found this version of miso salmon with roasted veggies.  The recipe was super easy to make and packed so much flavor.  I was even more excited when the salmon tasted very similar to Cheesecake Factory's miso salmon!  Now I can make it at home too!  Yay!

This was my first time cooking bok choy and white carrots.  Once roasted, the bok choy reminded me of Brussels sprouts, and the white carrot tasted like a normal orange carrot just slightly less sweet.  I think in the future I will buy normal carrots, but it was good to try something new!  However, the vegetable that stole the show in this dish was the roasted asparagus.  I absolutely love how crispy the ends get!  If you haven't tried roasting your asparagus before, try it!  Easy and delicious!

Recipe for this miso salmon below!  Enjoy!
Recipe: Here
*Tweaks:  I also roasted the white carrot with the veggies and served the meal with brown rice.

Miso Salmon with Veggies

Poblano Pepper:  Poblano Mac & Cheese

Cavatappi shaped noodles covered in a creamy, cheesy, pepper-filled sauce topped with the yummiest crispy breadcrumb topping?  Yep!  Mac & cheese doesn't get much better than that!

I love macaroni and cheese.  It is just one of those comfort foods that I can't get enough of.  Whether it is cooked in the Instant Pot, stovetop, or oven-baked, or whether it is made with cheddar, white cheddar, gruyere, parmesan, or other cheeses, pasta in a cheese sauce is simply yummy.

Two boxes ago, I used cauliflower florets and a poblano pepper to make Cauliflower Mac & Cheese, and it was delicious.  So when I saw another poblano pepper in my box this week, I decided to try making the same recipe but with cavatappi shaped noodles instead of cauliflower.  While using pasta instead of cauliflower is not as healthy, it sure does taste good!  The sauce is creamy, cheesy, and so flavorful from the sauteed poblano pepper.  Highly recommend!  Recipes below!

Cauliflower Mac & Cheese: Here
Box #8: Here

Poblano Mac & Cheese: Here
Poblano Mac & Cheese (Before Topping and Baked)
Poblano Mac & Cheese (Baked)

Green Tomato, Avacado, Red Leaf Lettuce: Shrimp Tacos

I have been craving shrimp tacos for a couple of weeks now, and these tacos did not disappoint!  They were absolutely delicious!  Seasoned shrimp sauteed in butter with rice, beans, lettuce, tomato, avocado, and cilantro lime crema is a perfect combination!  I really don't have anything else to say other than you need to try these!  I was so surprised by how good they tasted!  Tips and recipe below!

Shrimp:  I buy my shrimp frozen at Costco.  They are cheaper per pound, and I just keep them in my freezer.  An hour before I need them, I pour a handful or two into a bowl full of cold water and stick them in the fridge.  Then I rinse them a couple of times in cold water and place them on a plate covered in paper towels.  Using a different paper towel, I pat them dry and then season them!

Shrimp cook really fast!  When I cook them on the stove, I watch them carefully.  On the first side, I watch as the bottom changes from gray to pink.  Once they are pink halfway up the shrimp, that is when I flip them.  This usually only takes a minute or two.  Then I cook them the same amount of time on the other side.  Then you are done!  Fast!

Sauce: I really like the cilantro-lime crema from Costco.  It is quick, easy, and tastes really good.  You could make a sauce from scratch, but if you want something that tastes good and is already done for you, I would recommend the cilantro-lime crema from Costco!

Recipe: I blogged this one!  Check it out here!

Shrimp Tacos

Sweet Potato, Green Tomato, Red Leaf Lettuce:  BLTs with Sweet Potato Fries

The sweet potato in my box was ginormous, and I turned it into a lot of sweet potato curly fries!  I cut them with my spiralizer, tossed them in oil and a bunch of spices, and baked them until crispy in the hot oven.  Let me tell you, they were so yummy!  Homemade baked fries taste great, and I don't feel as guilty eating them compared to fried fries!

The green tomato in the box was beautiful and huge.  The only other time I had tried green tomatoes was when I had some fried a long time ago.  They weren't my favorite back then, but I actually really enjoyed the tomato on my BLT.  The flavor was mild but the tomato was juicy and brought a great balance to the sandwich!

This week I made homemade French bread!  Sounds scary right?  It was actually super easy!  I followed this recipe and it turned out great!  Try it out!  The bread was perfect for my BLT.

The rest of the meal was straight forward!  I toasted the homemade french bread, sliced up the green tomato, cooked the bacon until crispy, washed the lettuce, and added a bit of mayo to the sandwich.  Easy!  I attached the recipe for the fries below!  Enjoy!

French Bread Recipe: Here
Fry Recipe: Here
**Tweaks:  I used a sweet potato instead of a normal potato.

BLTs with Sweet Potato Curly Fries 

Delicata Squash: Delicata Squash Soup (Yay!)

I was so excited to see another delicata squash in my box this week!  I made the yummiest soup with the delicata squash in Box #6, and I have been wanting to make it again!  If you haven't tried a delicata squash, try one.  They really are delicious by themselves!  I attached the soup recipe again below.

Recipe: Here
Tweaks:  I added more chicken broth until the soup was a bit thinner.  I also used an immersion blender to make the soup instead of a stand-alone blender.
Check out: Box #6

Delicata Squash Soup with Spiced Chickpeas

Purple Daikon Radish: TBD

The purple daikon radish was supposed to go on my shrimp tacos, but amidst all the excitement, I forgot to put them on.  So, what to do with my radishes is to be determined!  But that's ok!  I will figure out something else to do with them next week!


Bell Pepper, Apples, Pears, Oranges: Snack Foods! 

The produce in this box was so yummy!  I loved eating the pears and apples.  The oranges were yummy too but very seedy!  One of the oranges had 30 seeds in it!  Very seedy!


How did I do with this week's produce?  What would you have made?  Let me know your ideas and if you recreate any of the recipes above! 


More links:


Box #9 Healthy Blueberry Muffins, Plum Crumble, Butternut Squash Soup, Apple Pancakes, Hubba Hubba Bars, Pesto Pasta, Pesto Salmon 

Box #8 Mini Pot Pies, Roasted Veggie Salad, Cauliflower Mac & Cheese, Shakshuka, Stuffed Acorn Squash, Homemade Granola

Box #7 Marbled Zucchini Bread, Triple P Pizza, Apple Turnovers, Grandma Sloots Potato Soup, Spaghetti Squash Tots, Tin Foil Shrimp & Veggie Packets

**Box #6 Crème Brûlée, Rose Petal Apple Pie, Cafe Rio Inspired Salads, Delicata Squash Soup, Roasted Asparagus with Salmon, Minestrone Soup, Chicken Croissants

Box #5 Lemon Pancakes with Blackberry Sauce, Zoodles with Homemade Tomato & Meat Sauce, Beet Gnocchi with Goat Cheese, Stuffed Peppers, Plum Cake Round 2

**Box #4 Nectarine Vanilla Scones, Lemon Fajitas, Plum Cake, Zoodles Topped with Lemon and Parmesan, Sautéed Shrimp with Squash, Mango Salsa Salmon, Chicken Noodle Soup

Box #3 Carrot Cake Cupcakes, Omelet with Crispy Hash Browns, Butternut Squash Soup with Beet Salad, Pulled Eggplant Sandwich, Salmon with Roasted Zucchini

Box #2 Butter Chicken with Watermelon for Dessert, Very Homemade Sushi: Custom California Roll, Chicken Orzo with Vegetables, Waffles with Peaches 

Box #1 Fruit Salad, Broiled Salmon with Vegetables,  Eggplant Roll-Ups, Carrots with Hummus 

**My favorite boxes



Comments

Popular Posts