Perfectly Imperfect Produce: Box #1

Perfectly Imperfect Produce: Box #1



Last week I received my first box from Perfectly Imperfect Produce!  Perfectly Imperfect Produce is a Cleveland company that eliminates food waste as they sell fresh produce that would otherwise get thrown away.  PIP rescues the produce that doesn't look "perfect" but is still fresh and good.  Typically, a lot of produce gets thrown away because the farmers have more than the grocery stores need, or the produce doesn't match the grocery store appearance requirements.  So, PIP boxes up the "imperfect" produce and sends it to your door!  You get to choose your size of box and if you want fruits, vegetables, or a combination of both!  This time I choose the small, mixed box.  What makes it even more exciting is that each box is a surprise.  Because they load the box with what is fresh that week, you could get a variety of fruits and vegetables.  I have decided to blog about what I make each week with the produce.  I am hoping to get very creative and try many new recipes!  Let me know what you think!

Check out Perfectly Imperfect Produce's Website:
 https://www.perfectlyimperfectproduce.com



What's in the box?
Grapes
Cantelope
Carrots
Lemon
Squash
Eggplant
Peaches
Grape Tomatoes
Honeycrisp Apples
Oranges
White Onion

Grapes & Cantelope: Fruit Salad

When I first took the fruit out of the box, I was not sure whether the large tan/yellow object was a squash or a cantaloupe.  Turns out it was a cantaloupe, a very yummy cantelope.  It was perfectly ripe, juicy, and just the size for two people.  I combined the green grapes with the cubed cantaloupe and added fresh strawberries and blueberries from Costco.  Together, it made the yummiest fruit salad.





Tomatoes & Squash & Lemon: Broiled Salmon with Vegetables

Broiled salmon with vegetables is one of my favorite meals right now.  I love the texture and the flavor of the vegetables along with the herb encrusted salmon.  Plus, this meal cooks in 9 minutes and is so healthy!  The squash, tomatoes, and lemon were put to good use! 





Eggplant:  Eggplant Roll-Ups 

Before this box, I had never tried eggplant before.  It was just one of those weird purple fruits that I had no idea what to do with.  After searching the Tasty app for ideas, I found these eggplant roll-ups. Basically, they are stuffed shells but instead of pasta, the ricotta mixture is rolled up in eggplant.  Definitely something fun, different, and healthier!  Recipe link below! 
Recipe link: tasty.co/recipe/eggplant-lasagna-roll-ups




Carrots:  Carrots with Hummus 

This week at Costco we bought a big container of hummus.  So along with pita chips, we have been dipping carrots into the smooth dip.  I have been trying to find healthier snacks to munch on, and this one is definitely a winner! 

Peaches: Peaches with Ice Cream 

With it being so hot outside, I have been eating a lot of vanilla ice cream.  The tangy peaches in the box were the perfect companion for the sweet ice cream.  They made for a yummy dessert. 

Oranges & Apples: Snacks for the Med Student

As soon as I unloaded the box, my husband started eating the oranges.  They make for a great snack!  We also ate the Honeycrisp apples with peanut butter for late-night snacks.  We love snacking on fruit. 

Onion:  TBD

I didn't find a use for the onion this week.  But it is still good, and I will use it next week!  Looking back, I probably could have roasted it with the salmon but that's ok.  I will find another use for it! 


What would you have done with the fruits and vegetables?  Let me know your ideas! 




Comments

Popular Posts