Perfectly Imperfect Produce: Box #6

Perfectly Imperfect Produce: Box #6

Perfectly Imperfect Produce: Box #6

The surprise of the week?  The Delicata Squash!  I had no idea what it was when I pulled it out of the box.  For a while, I called it my zebra squash because of the dark and light pattern.  But thanks to the internet, I learned its name and found many different recipes!  Little did I know that this delicata squash would be my new favorite thing.  It's a weird-looking squash, but it sure impressed me.  Definitely check out what I did with the delicata squash below.  Trust me... you NEED to try it!


What's in the box?

Asparagus
Cucumber
Corn
Red Leaf Lettuce
Potatoes
Green Bell Pepper
Chili Peppers
Blueberries
Zucchini
Onion
**Delicata Squash**
Apples
Tomato


Blueberries: Crème Brûlée

In my opinion, nothing gets better than a sweet vanilla cream topped with caramelized sugar!  I absolutely love crème brûlée.  That first spoon full is perfect as you crack open the sugar layer into the silky creme.  Then the sweet creme is balanced by the freshness of the berries.  Absolutely perfect!

I have a lot of good memories of eating crème brûlée when I was younger.  It was always our go-to dessert at fancy restaurants.  So I was extra excited when I pulled out the ramekins and blow torch, and decided it was time to make it at home!  Plus, it made me feel like I was on the Great British Baking Show.  Give it a try!  Recipe below!

Recipe: Here






Apples: Rose Petal Apple Pie with Homemade Pie Crust

When I saw the apples in the box and since I also went apple picking this weekend with my husband, I knew it was time to bake an apple pie!  But I didn't want to make just any apple pie.  I wanted to make an apple pie where the apples were the petals of a rose.  Little did I know that this recipe was going to be so time-consuming!  Before I tasted the finished product, I told myself that I would never make it again because it was so much work.  But then, I tasted the pie, and it was the BEST apple pie I have ever eaten!  And I am not a big fan of apple pies.  But this one is different.  It is light and delicate and a joy to eat.  This pie reminded me of an apple crisp placed gently on top of the yummiest homemade pie crust.  Served with ice cream and homemade caramel sauce, it just can't get any better.  I will definitely be making this pie again, but I will for sure enlist some extra helpers to make it go by faster!

Recipe: Here
Tweaks:  Instead of using a store-bought pie crust, I made homemade-crust using my grandma's recipe.  I also cooked it in a pie dish instead of cast iron.  Helpful pie crust making tips here.  Don't forget to serve it with vanilla ice cream and the homemade caramel sauce!

Before it went into the oven!

Freshly baked!




Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, & Chili Peppers: Cafe Rio Inspired Salads

I love Cafe Rio, and since moving to Ohio, my husband and I have missed our Cafe Rio dates.  We have a lot of good memories of eating at Cafe Rio!  But because I am very particular about the taste of Cafe Rio, I have been hesitant to recreate their sweet pork salads.  I didn't want to recreate the meal and then have it not measure up.  I wanted a pork recipe that tasted exactly the same, not just something close.  When I found this recipe and read the reviews, it sounded promising.  Because there are no Cafe Rio's anywhere near us, we decided to give it a go.  And the results were AMAZING.  This pork tasted exactly the same as Cafe Rio's.  When eating the first bite, all the date night memories of Cafe Rio came back, and that's how I knew we found the right recipe.

One of my favorite finds at Costco is their four-pack of pork sirloin roasts.  They are inexpensive, the perfect size, and taste great.  I threw one of the pork roasts into the Crock-Pot and let it do its magic on low for eight hours.  The meat was so tender that I couldn't even get it out of the Crock-Pot; it just kept falling apart.

We also made homemade tortillas and pico de gallo.  At first, we were just going to buy salsa from Costco but decided that since we had tomatoes, peppers, and onion from the produce box, we could try making our own pico.  That was the best decision.  The homemade pico was easy and delicious.

Because we were making the meat, rice, beans, tortillas, and pico from scratch, I decided to buy the dressing from Costco.  The Cilantro Lime Crema from Costco is very close to Cafe Rio's dressing.  It just lacked a bit of the heat.  So I added a pinch of cayenne to the dressing, and it was perfect.  I have attached all the recipes below!

Pork Recipe
Tweaks:  I used the Crock-Pot method and put the roast in whole.  I did not cut it into chunks first, and it tasted amazing (plus it was less work).  I also used the root beer version instead of the cola. 
Pico de Gallo Recipe
Lime Rice Recipe
Tortilla Recipe
Beans: Rinsed Black Beans sauteed with lime juice and zest
Dressing: Cilantro Lime Crema from Costco with an added pinch of cayenne




















Delicata Squash: Delicata Squash Soup with Roasted Chickpeas

The surprise of the week was this delicata squash.  It gets its name from its delicate, edible skin.  No need to peel it, just enjoy!  I was very skeptical of this squash before I tried it.  I knew I needed to make something with it, so I looked for a recipe that required me to buy the least amount of ingredients.  I came across this soup recipe and decided it was the one to try.  And I am so glad I did because it was DELICIOUS.  I was sad it only fed us for one meal because I wanted leftovers.  The squash has a sweet flavor that does not need extra ingredients added.  Unlike butternut squash soup where you need to add potatoes, carrots, and celery to the soup, this one was just the squash, sauteed onion, and broth.  The flavor was full and tasted of fall.  My husband's favorite soup used to be butternut squash soup, but this one is his new favorite...  and that is saying something!  Who would have guessed that this squash was so yummy all by itself!  I would highly recommend!

The recipe also included roasted chickpeas.  The chickpeas were a fun garnish to the soup as they added a different texture.  The soup would be fine without the chickpeas, but if you want an added texture, they were easy to make!

I love doing these produce boxes.  Without them, I would have never tried the delicata squash, and I would have missed out!  If you have the chance to buy a delicata squash, do it!  You won't regret it!

Recipe: Here
Tweaks:  I added almost 3 cups of chicken broth which is triple the recipe.  Maybe my squash was a bit bigger, but the soup needed the extra liquid!  I also used an immersion blender to make the soup instead of a stand-alone blender.




Asparagus: Roasted Asparagus with Salmon

I love roasted vegetables with salmon.  I think it is so cool that the salmon and vegetables take the exact same amount of time to cook.  Sheet pan meals are really so easy and yummy.  Plus, roasted asparagus enhances the flavor and gives the ends the perfect crispy texture!  So good!

To make this meal, I preheated the oven to 400 degrees.  Then I turned the oven on high broil.  I tossed the asparagus in melted butter and seasoned with salt and pepper.  For the salmon, I sprinkled on garlic salt, parsley, and chili flakes.  Then I topped the salmon with three little pads of butter.  Into the oven it went, for 8-9 minutes, until the salmon was cooked through.  Serve with lemon and you have a healthy, easy, and fast meal!  Enjoy!




Zucchini: Minestrone Soup

Olive Garden's minestrone soup is one of my favorites.  So this week's minestrone is Olive Garden inspired.  All the vegetables pair perfectly with the tomatoey broth, beans, and noodles.  This soup is perfect on a cold day and fills you up!  Plus it is a lot more cost-effective than ordering it at the Olive Garden.  Enjoy!  Recipe below!

Ingredients: 

2 Tbs. olive oil
1/2 onion diced
1 garlic clove minced
4 carrots diced
2 celery ribs diced
2 handfuls of green beans cut in half or thirds
2 zucchini chopped
28 oz. of diced tomatoes
4 oz. of tomato paste
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 lb. small pasta of your choice
1 can white beans (drained and rinsed)
2 cans kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. basil
1/4 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. onion powder

Directions:  

  • In a small bowl, combine spices: oregano, basil, thyme, white pepper, garlic salt, and onion powder.  Set aside.  
  • In a medium pot, boil water.  Add pasta and cook to directions on the package.  Set aside.
  • In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.  Add onion and saute for 3 minutes or until onions are translucent.  Add garlic with a dash of salt and pepper.  Cook for 1 minute.  
  • Add carrots and celery and cook for 3 minutes.  Add green beans and cook for 1 minute.  Add spices from the small bowl above.  Stir stir stir and let cook for 30 seconds. 
  • Add tomato paste and the 28 ounces of diced tomatoes.  Bring to boil.  Add zucchini. 
  • Add chicken broth, bay leaves, and rinsed cans of beans.  Bring to boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until vegetables are cooked to your liking. 
  • Remove bay leaves and add cooked pasta.  Serve with parmesan cheese.  

This soup gets better the longer the flavors have a chance to marry!  Enjoy!
**I kind of followed this recipe but mostly did my own thing.  Here it is for reference!





Corn: Corn with Chicken Croissants

Corn was the perfect vegetable to go with my Chicken Croissants.  I blogged about them earlier.  Go check them out because they are easy yet impressive enough to make for a large group of people!

Recipe Here





Potatoes: Omelets with Crispy Hashbrowns

With the extra banana pepper from last week, I made omelets with hashbrowns again.  Check out my Box #3 for the recipe!


Cucumber & Green Bell Pepper: Veggies with Hummus

With the big tub of hummus from Costco, we enjoyed dipping pita chips and veggies into the flavorful hummus.  Yum!



How did I do with this week's produce?  Let me know if you try any of the recipes!  Also, don't forget to try a delicata squash!  What would you have done with the produce?  Let me know! 


More links:
Box #4 *One of my favorite boxes


Comments

Popular Posts