Perfectly Imperfect Produce: Box #16

Perfectly Imperfect Produce: Box #16

Perfectly Imperfect Produce Small Mixed Box

Happy April everyone!  I hope everyone is doing ok and staying healthy and safe!  During this quarantine, I am extra grateful my produce can be dropped off at my door!  Plus, the veggies are in season, and we are preventing food waste!  If you are in the Cleveland area, definitely check out Perfectly Imperfect Produce.  If you are not in the Cleveland area, that's ok!  These veggies are at the grocery store, and I have several yummy recipes below.  Check them out!

See my past 15 boxes: Here
My Perfectly Imperfect Produce Referral Link: Here
Check out my page on Instagram: @lemonandbutterlove


What's in the box?

Cauliflower
Oranges
Apples
Zucchini
Cucumber
Blood Oranges
Broccolini
Carrots
Tomato
White Onion
Corn
Lettuce


Cauliflower, Carrots, & Lettuce: Ham Fried Rice Lettuce Cups

With Easter around the corner, I have the perfect recipe for your leftover ham!  These Ham Fried Rice Lettuce Cups are so yummy and healthy!  Filled with ham, carrots, eggs, green onion, and cauliflower rice, your taste buds and tummy will be happy.  I serve the fried rice in lettuce leaves and top them with my homemade ranch... can't get better than that!  This meal is easy, fast, and delicious.  Recipe below!

Recipe: Here

Ham Fried Rice Lettuce Cups 

Ham Fried Rice

Blood Oranges: Blood Orange Upside Down Cake

I love getting surprise produce boxes as they push me outside of my norms!  I had never cooked with blood oranges before this week, and I definitely will again in the future.  Yay!

This week the blood oranges starred in a Blood Orange Upside Down Cake.  I enjoyed slicing the oranges thin and creating a pattern at the bottom of the pan.  The zest of the oranges went into the batter creating an orangy, satisfying cake.  Yum!

Next time I make this cake, I want to try using the cake batter from my Box #4 Plum Cake Recipe.  The Plum Cake batter was a bit lighter and moister.  The cake on this blood orange recipe was still good; however, since I have made that Plum Cake recipe so many times, my taste buds prefer the Plum Cake batter better.  Worth a try!  Both recipes below!

Blood Orange Cake Recipe: Here
*Tweaks:  I cut off the majority of the rinds of the blood oranges.
Plum Cake Recipe: Here

Blood Orange Upside Down Cake
Blook Orange Upside Down Cake


Broccolini: Broccolini with Orecciette Alfredo

This broccolini was my surprise of the week!  I am still thinking about how good it tasted!  Sautéed in butter, lemon juice, and soy sauce, the broccolini was flavorful and paired perfectly with the alfredo.  Here is my cheesy metaphor of the day: asparagus is to hollandaise as broccolini is to this lemony sauce!  It was so light, refreshing, bright, and lemony.  Seriously... yum!

Growing up, my sister and I only experienced broccolini at one place: California Pizza Kitchen.  When we were little, I remember them having the BEST kids' meals.   I would get the grilled chicken with broccolini, and my sister would get the alfredo.  Then we would split them.  This recipe is like a grown-up version of the kids' meals and brought back major happy memories!

Making homemade alfredo is actually really easy.  This alfredo is only three ingredients: butter, cream, and parmesan cheese.  I keep a Costco container of parmesan cheese in my freezer so anytime I need parm, it isn't too far away.  No need to buy jars of alfredo sauce at the store or only eat it at restaurants.  Once you make it, it will be your go-to!  Enjoy!

Recipe: Here
Tweaks:  I tossed in a package of elephant ear (orecchiette) pasta into the alfredo sauce.  I highly recommend.

Sautéed Broccolini with Orecchiette Alfredo


Corn, Tomato, & Cucumber: Salmon Tacos with Corn & Tomato Salad

The corn, tomato, and cucumber paired perfectly with these salmon tacos.  I cooked my salmon the same way as in my Mango Salsa Salmon and then made a corn, tomato, and cucumber 'salad' to top the tacos.  The coolness from the cucumber, the sweetness from the corn, the tartness from the lime, the acidity from the tomato, and the heat from the jalapeno all balanced perfectly with the spiced salmon.  As we transition into spring and summer, this is a bright version of a salmon taco.  Recipes below!

Corn & Tomato Salad Recipe: Here #20
Salmon Recipe: Here

Salmon Tacos with Corn, Tomato, and Cucumber Salad


Apples:  Whole-Grain Apple Oven Pancake

Caramelized apples covered in a soft, healthy pancake is the perfect description for this Whole-Grain Apple Oven Pancake.  The apples are definitely the star of the show!  Sauteed in butter and sugar before the batter is poured over the top the apples are so delicious.  If you are looking for a yummy whole-grain, apple pancake, this one is for you!  Recipe below!

Recipe: Here

Whole-Grain Apple Oven Pancake



Zucchini, Carrot, & Onion: Chicken & Barley Soup

Chicken & Barley Soup is one of my all-time favorite soups.  The combination of rotisserie chicken, barley, and vegetables is filling, flavorful, and so comforting.  Plus, its easy, healthy, and the perfect weeknight meal.  Serve it with crackers, bread, or just by itself.  Yum!

The inspiration for this recipe comes from one of my favorite places to eat in Salt Lake City: Little America.  They have the yummiest chicken and barley soup.  Since I am in Ohio and far away from Little America, I decided to make my own version.  Recipe below!

Recipe: Here

Chicken & Barley Soup


Oranges: Snacks

The oranges in this box were gone before I had a chance to make anything with them!  Yum!




How did I do with this week's produce?  What would you have made?  Let me know your ideas and if you recreate any of the recipes above! 


More links:

Comments

Popular Posts