Perfectly Imperfect Produce: Box #13

Perfectly Imperfect Produce: Box #13


It's December!  And that means the holidays are here!  I was extra excited to get my box this week because I took a couple weeks off from my box for Thanksgiving.  This week it was back to meal planning and trying recipes.  Check out what I did below with my last box for 2019! (New to my Perfectly Imperfect Produce boxes?  Check out this link here for more info!)

What's in the box?

Potatoes
Pears
Bell Peppers
Cherry Tomatoes
Cucumber
Apples
Clementines 
Zucchini
Mango
Acorn Squash
Rainbow Carrots


Mango & Orange Bell Pepper: Chicken and Mango Basil Stir Fry

Crisp veggies, juicy chicken, tart mango, fresh basil, all covered in a sweet sticky sauce served over brown rice?  Yep!  This version of stir fry is delicious!  Plus, it comes together so fast!  The element that will take you the longest is the brown rice as the chicken and veggies come together quickly!  I love how the mango brightens up the dish and balances the bell pepper and red onion.  When I first read the recipe and saw the basil, I was a bit skeptical.  I do not typically think of basil in a stir fry where soy sauce is a main component of the sauce.  But somehow it just works.  The bell pepper and mango from the box definitely went to good use this week!  Recipe below!

Recipe: Here
*Tweaks:  I did not coat the chicken in cornstarch.  Instead, I cooked the chicken cubes in the pan with a bit of oil and continued with the recipe.  I also used an orange bell pepper instead of red.

Chicken and Mango Basil Stir Fry


Apples: Apple Toffee Dip

Searching for the perfect New Year's party apple dip?  All you need is three ingredients: cream cheese, brown sugar, and toffee pieces.  Stir them together, and you have the yummiest dip for your apples.  The sweet brown sugar dissolves in the smooth cream cheese, and the toffee bits add the perfect amount of chocolatey crunch.  Pair this dip with a tart, crisp apple, and you have the perfect match.  Give it a try!  Recipe below.

Recipe: Here

Apple Toffee Dip


Cherry Tomatoes & Mango: Mango Salsa Salmon

Mango and cherry tomatoes in the same box means Mango Salsa Salmon time!  This is a favorite at my house.  From start to finish, I can have the whole meal whipped out in under 30 minutes.  It's fast, flavorful, and refreshing.  I love how the spices on the salmon balance the fresh salsa, and it pairs perfectly with quinoa.  Recipe below!

Recipe: Here

Mango Salsa Salmon


Potatoes & Zucchini: Rib-Eye Steak with Roasted Potato Salad and Zucchini 

One of the first things I do when I get a new produce box is to start meal planning.  I search for recipes online and make a list of extra ingredients I need at the grocery store.  When I grocery shop with a list, I am faster and avoid purchasing impulse buys... well most of the time.  Usually, what I meal plan is what we eat; however, this week I strayed from my original plan, and I am so glad I did!

While eating samples at Costco, I noticed the butcher putting out new packages of meats.  Curiously, I walked over and found four of the prettiest rib-eye steaks I had ever seen.  Now, usually, I am a "fillet" girl, and I do not pay much attention to the rib-eyes, but these looked so good.  Next thing I knew, the steaks were in my cart.  Even though I had never cooked a steak before and the steaks were more expensive than I was used to spending on a meal, the steaks were an excuse for a date night with my husband, and I aimed to learn a new cooking skill!

Next, I researched the best way to cook a rib-eye steak.  While I found many methods, I chose the "reverse sear" technique.  Once you cake the steak with salt and pepper, you bake it low and slow and then later sear it in cast iron pan to get that perfect crust.  This meant I got to use my cast iron pan... yay!

For our wedding, my husband and I received a cast iron pan.  We were so excited to use our pan, but I was a bit nervous because they take extra care when cleaning.  I convinced my husband that we needed a special meal to bring out the pan... and this week was the week!

Once I heavily salted my steak, I let it rest at room temperature for 20 minutes.  Then on a rack, the steak baked in the oven for about an hour on 210 degrees F.  I like to call this the "prime-rib" technique as prime-ribs are cooked low and slow.  Plus, rib-eyes are just a portion of a full prime-rib, so the name is extra fitting.

A tip for cooking steaks is to use a meat thermometer.  Every oven cooks a bit differently, and every piece of meat is a different size.  So, rather than cooking purely by time, it's best to cook with a meat thermometer.  To get the steak cooked medium, you want the steak's internal temperature to be around 145 degrees F.  This steak I cooked to medium-rare, and I pulled the steak out of the oven once it hit 130 degrees F.

While the steak was baking in the oven, I preheated the cast iron.  I was nervous about searing the steak because our smoke alarms set off really easily.  (Plus, the smoke detectors are on the vaulted ceilings, so they are very high and difficult to turn off.)  But, I chose grapeseed oil as it has a high smoke point and also made sure all my fans were going.  Luckily, the sear went perfectly, and no smoke detectors went off... yay!

Searing gives the steak the perfect crust.  Basically, you heat the cast iron pan (with a tablespoon or two of oil) until its very hot, and then you lay the steak in the oil.  Let it sit for 30-45 seconds, and do not touch it.  If you try to move it before it has a proper sear, it will stick.  After the 45 seconds, flip and sear the other side.  At this point, I added garlic and a couple tablespoons of butter (see recipe below).  Basting the steak in butter made it taste that much better!

The next tip is to take the steak out of the pan and let it rest for 10 minutes.  I like to tent it with tinfoil.  Then it was time to enjoy!  I was a bit skeptical trying my first bite as I thought the steak could not be that good.  But I was wrong!  It cut like butter and was so tender!  It melted in my mouth and was cooked perfectly!  I was *majorly* proud of the meal!  The "prime-rib" technique is a keeper!   Recipe below!

The potatoes in my box made the yummiest warm potato salad.  With flavors of Dijon mustard and balsamic vinegar, the potatoes were delicious.  Plus, roasted potatoes just taste so good!  I also roasted the zucchini and topped it with Parmesan cheese.  Both the potatoes and zucchini paired perfectly with the steak.  Potato recipe below!

My first time cooking steak was a success!  Have you ever tried cooking a steak?  What are your tips?  If you made it this far in the post, thanks for staying with me and reliving my first steak cooking experience!

Roasted Potato Recipe: Here
Rib Eye Recipe: Here

Rib-Eye Steak with Roasted Potato Salad and Roasted Zucchini

Medium Rare Rib-Eye Steak


Yellow Bell Pepper, Rainbow Carrots, Cherry Tomatoes: Rainbow Veggies with Shrimp

Bright, colorful vegetables are so flavorful.  Combine them with lemony shrimp and cooked quinoa, and you have a quick, healthy meal.  The best part about veggies with shrimp is that it is customizable.  You can use any vegetables you want or have in your kitchen.  My combination is below!

If you want my tricks for cooking shrimp, keep reading!  If not, jump to the recipe below!

Shrimp Tricks:  I buy my shrimp frozen at Costco.  They are cheaper per pound, and I just keep them in my freezer.  An hour before I need them, I pour a handful or two into a bowl full of cold water and stick them in the fridge.  Then I rinse them a couple times in cold water and place them on a plate covered in paper towels.  Using a different paper towel, I pat them dry and then season them!

Shrimp cook really fast!  When I cook them on the stove, I watch them carefully.  On the first side, I watch as the bottom changes from gray to pink.  Once they are pink halfway up the shrimp, that is when I flip them.  This usually only takes a minute or two.  Then I cook them the same amount of time on the other side.  Then you are done!  Fast!


Rainbow Veggies with Shrimp Recipe 

Ingredients:

4 carrots cut into 1 inch (ish) cubes (I used the rainbow carrots from the box)
1 bell pepper cut into thin strips (I used yellow but choose your favorite)
1 pint of cherry/grape tomatoes
1/2 red onion diced or cut into thin strips
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 lemon
1-2 Tbs. olive oil
1-2 Tbs. butter
1/2 lb. raw shrimp
1 clove garlic minced (you could also use a sprinkle of garlic salt instead)
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
Quinoa for serving

Directions:

  1. In a medium-large pan, heat 1-2 Tbs. of olive oil over medium heat.  
  2. Into the oil, add red pepper flakes, and a dash of salt and pepper.  
  3. Add chopped carrots and stir, making sure the carrots do not burn.  Let carrots cook for 1-2 minutes.  
  4. Add the bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, red onion, and minced garlic to carrots.  Then add the juice of 1 lemon.  Cook until tomatoes are just starting to burst, stirring occasionally, so the veggies do not burn (about 5ish minutes).  
  5. While veggies are cooking, place raw shrimp on a paper towel and pat dry.  Sprinkle the shrimp with garlic salt, pepper, and lemon zest. (You will add these to the pan once the veggies are finished cooking.)
  6. Once the tomatoes are just starting to burst, place the veggies in a large bowl and set aside.  Cover with tin foil to keep warm.
  7. In the same pan over medium heat, melt 1-2 Tbs. of butter.  
  8. Once butter is melted and heated through, add shrimp one by one, making sure they do not touch each other.  Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the shrimp has turned pink halfway up the shrimp. 
  9. Flip the shrimp and cook the same amount of time on the other side until the shrimp is completely pink. About 1-2 minutes.
  10. Serve the veggies and shrimp over cooked quinoa.  Enjoy! 

Rainbow Veggies with Shrimp

Pears, Clementines, Acorn Squash, & Cucumber: Snacks

The clementines were sweet and juicy this week!  I love snacking on clementines and winter citrus.  The pears and cucumber also went fast.  If you are wondering what I did with the acorn squash... it sadly went bad.  I did not know that acorn squashes would shrivel up and start growing mold...?  So now I know!  But back to those clementines: they were delicious!


How did I do with this week's produce?  What would you have made?  Let me know your ideas and if you recreate any of the recipes above! 


More links:

Perfectly Imperfect Produce's Website

Morgan's Boxes 1-12:  Check out what I did with my Boxes 1-12!



Comments

Popular Posts