Perfectly Imperfect Produce: Box #22

Perfectly Imperfect Produce: Box #22

Small Mixed Produce Box

Box #22?  Crazy!  My first box was a year ago, and they have been so enjoyable.  I love cooking with fresh produce and trying new recipes.  These boxes help me be more creative in my meals and recipes.  This week, I definitely discovered recipes that I will use over and over again.  Check out my experience and the recipes below!
  • See my past 21 boxes: Here
  • My Perfectly Imperfect Produce Referral Link: Here
  • Check out my page on Instagram: @lemonandbutterlove

What's in the box?

Red Potatoes
Corn on the Cob
Broccoli
Bell Peppers
Yellow Onion 
Avocado
Oranges
Peach
Pear
Cucumber
Apples
Cherry Tomatoes
Red Grapes


Red Potatoes & Corn: Shrimp Boil Packets

Before this week, I had never tried a shrimp boil before!  Seafood boils are all over Food Network and southern cuisine, and they always look so yummy to me.  With the corn and potatoes in the produce box, it was time to make it happen.  I was not disappointed!  Butter, lemon, garlic, Old Bay seasoning, corn, potatoes, shrimp, and andouille sausage is quite the combination.  I cooked mine in a foil package in the oven, which was easy with little clean up after.  Can't beat that!  Plus, those little packets were FLAVORFUL.  If you are looking for an easy recipe to transport you to New Orleans, I would recommend the recipe below!  Yum! 

Recipe: Here
*Tweaks:  My Old Bay seasoning was brand new, so it was quite flavorful.  Next time, I would halve the amount of Old Bay as it was strong (and almost too salty).  But other than that, no complaints!

Shrimp Boil Packets


Bell Peppers, Onion, Avocado, & Cherry Tomatoes: Steak Fajitas

When I saw the bell peppers and onion in the produce box, I immediately knew I wanted to cook fajitas.  I often cook chicken fajitas, but I wanted to do something different: a steak fajita.  To do this, I enlisted my good friend, the cast iron pan.  I love cooking meat on my cast iron and have been using it a lot lately.  The cast iron was the perfect choice for these steak fajitas.

While the recipe calls for skirt steak, I used flank steak.  I had never cooked with it before but knew it was a common cut of meat to use in fajitas.  After a quick marinade, the steak went whole into the cast iron.  I chose to cook mine to a medium-rare, but you could cook it to a higher temperature super easily.  While the steak rested, I sauteed in the onions and bell peppers in the same pan.  Who knew onions and bell peppers could be so amazing?!  They caramelized and picked up flavor from the meat.. delicious!  After the peppers finished cooking, I sliced the steak super thin and assembled my fajita.  Lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, sour cream, freshly cooked tortilla, onions, bell peppers, and steak make the perfect fajita.  I will make these again and again!  I always enjoy a meal when it tastes better than something you could order at a restaurant.  Yay!  Recipe below!

Recipe: Here
*Tweaks:  I used flank steak instead of skirt steak.

Steak Fajitas

Steak Fajitas



Apples, Cucumber, & Grapes: Cod Salad

This summer I have made a lot of fish salads, and they have hit the spot.  First, let me preface that the smell of canned tuna makes me want to run the other way.  So, I have not eaten a lot of tuna salad sandwiches growing up.  However, these fish salads are totally different as they are made with home-cooked cod.  This fish salad does not have a fishy flavor what-so-ever!  The fish is mild and works perfectly with the other ingredients.  Yum!

My favorite part of this fish salad is the different textures.  Soft fish, crisp apples, crunchy nuts, creamy mayo, all on crisp lettuce just hits the spot.  Plus, I add a lot lemon which adds the needed acidity.  This salad is refreshing, light, and worth a try!

The fish salad is very customizable.  I prefer cod or halibut, a lot of lemon juice, pistachios, craisins or grapes, celery, a tiny scoop of mayo, and apple in lettuce cups.  But you could add any nut you want and any add-ins that sound good to you.  My combination below!


Morgan's Fish Salad
Feeds 2-3 people

Ingredients

  • One 6 oz cod filet (or white fish of choice (like halibut))
  • 1 Tbs. butter
  • Juice and zest of 1 lemon
  • One scoop of mayo (about 2 Tbs)
  • 1 rib of celery - chopped
  • 1 apple - cubed
  • Handful of grapes
  • Handful nuts of your choice (pistachios or almonds are my favs)
  • Cucumber - seeded and chopped
  • Sprinkle of curry powder (1/4-1/2 tsp)
  • Salt and pepper to taste 
  • Lettuce and/or toast for serving


Directions: 

Cod:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and then switch to broil.
  2. Line a sheet pan with tin foil and place cod filet in the center.  Sprinkle cod with salt and pepper.
  3. Cut 1 Tbs. butter into thin 1/8 inch butter pats.  Place pats on top of cod, covering the surface.
  4. Cook cod in oven for 8-12 minutes until the cod is opaque and flakes easily and/or reaches an internal temp of 145 degrees F.
  5. Flake fish and cool in fridge. 
Assembly:
  1. In a medium bowl, add cooled fish, juice and zest of 1 lemon, a scoop of mayo, celery, apple, grapes, nuts, cucumber, and curry powder.  Salt and pepper to taste. 
  2. Serve in lettuce cups and/or on toast.
  3. Enjoy! 


Fish Salad

Fish Salad

Fish Salad


Broccoli: Teriyaki Salmon

This week I made my very own teriyaki sauce, and it was so easy!  While I usually buy teriyaki sauce at the grocery store, I didn't have any on hand.  So when I was craving teriyaki salmon, I decided to make my own.  I am so glad I did because it was delicious.  The recipe I followed below!

Teriyaki salmon is so easy.  You broil the salmon with the sauce on top and then serve with roasted broccoli and rice.  Satisfying, healthy, and so easy!  I love perfectly cooked salmon with vegetables and rice.  Hits the spot every time!

Sauce Recipe: Here
*Tweaks:  I added an additional tablespoon of honey, an additional 1/2 tsp. of ground ginger, and a sprinkle of chili flakes.

Teriyaki Salmon
Serves 2

Ingredients: 

  • 7 oz salmon filet
  • 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce (separated) - homemade recipe above
  • 1-2 heads broccoli - cut into florets
  • 1 Tbs olive oil 
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Rice for serving


Salmon Directions: 

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and then switch to broil.
  2. Line a baking sheet with tin foil and place salmon filet in the center.
  3. Spoon teriyaki sauce on salmon until the top is completely covered.  Careful not to get raw fish in your sauce as you will save the rest of the sauce for serving. 
  4. On same sheet pan, add broccoli florets.  Sprinkle broccoli with a drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper.
  5. Broil for 8-12 minutes (depending on thickness of salmon filet).  Cook until fish flakes easily and/or fish reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees F.
  6. Serve over rice with extra teriyaki sauce. 


Teriyaki Salmon

Peach, Oranges, & Pear: Snacks

This week the peach, oranges, and pear went fast!  We love having produce to snack on!


How did I do with this week's produce?  What would you have made?  Let me know your ideas and if you recreate any of the recipes above! 


More links:
  • My Perfectly Imperfect Produce Referral Link: Here
  • Morgan's Boxes 1-21:  Check out what I did with my Boxes 1-21!
  • Follow me on Instagram: @lemonandbutterlove

Comments

Popular Posts