Perfectly Imperfect Produce: Box #21

Perfectly Imperfect Produce: Box #21

Small Box of Mixed Produce

Hey, everyone!  It's been a while!  But I am back and have been cooking tons of yummy recipes.  A year ago I tried my first produce box, and I have loved trying new produce and recipes.  Super fun!  This week's box had some surprises in it.  I had never cooked with tomatillos or an Athena melon before.  Check out what I did with them below!

  • See my past 20 boxes: Here
  • My Perfectly Imperfect Produce Referral Link: Here
  • Check out my page on Instagram: @lemonandbutterlove


What's in the box?

Kale
Athena Melon 
Red Delicious Apples
Green Bell Pepper
Roma Tomatoes 
Cucumber
Corn on the Cob 
Yellow Onion 
Russet Potatoes 
Oranges
Avocados
Peaches
Cherry Tomatoes 
Tomatillos


Cherry Tomatoes & Corn: Seared Scallops with Corn Succotash 

Summer corn is one of my favorite things.  It reminds me of being little and eating hot corn on the cob in my grandparent's backyard.  I love food that connects me to happy memories!  This week the corn went into the yummiest succotash; sweet corn, red bell pepper, fresh cherry tomatoes, and basil is a delicious combination.  Combine the succotash with sweet scallops and salty prosciutto and you have your new favorite dish of the summer.  Highly recommend!

Recipe: Here 
*Tweaks: I left out the green beans (I will add them next time).  I also skipped the blending step and just left the succotash chunky (I recommend skipping the blending step.)  I finished with lemon juice which gave it the perfect acidy finish. 

Seared Scallops with Corn Succotash 


Cucumber, Peaches, Avocado, & Corn: Couscous Summer Salad

Looking for a healthy salad with a lot of different mix-ins?  I have the salad for you!  Spiced couscous, dried cherries, sweet peaches, crisp cucumbers, sweet corn, creamy avocado, peppery arugula, and hearty chickpeas all covered in a lemon dressing is healthy yet satisfying.  This salad takes less than ten minutes to make and is so good for you!  I love it when something tastes delicious and is healthy!  Win, win!

Recipe: Here
Summer Couscous Salad


Tomatillos, Avocado, Roma Tomatoes, & Onion:  Homemade Cafe Rio Pork Salad

Sweet pork salad is my favorite dish to order at Cafe Rio and this homemade version ticks all the right boxes!  Tender fall apart sweet pork, cilantro lime rice, homemade tomatillo ranch dressing, and a lot of lime juice is the perfect combination.  While the salad has a lot of different components, each one is worth the effort!

This week was my first time ever cooking with tomatillos.  I kept them in their husks until I was ready to use them.  Then I took off the husks, cut them into quarters, and tossed them in the bowl to be blended with the other salad dressing ingredients.  Easy and tasted amazing.  Recipes I used below!


Pork: Here
Cilantro Lime Rice: Here
Salad Dressing: Here 
Sweet Pork Salad


Oranges, Athena Melon, Apples: Fruit Salad

I love a good summer fruit salad as it makes me feel healthy!  I combined the oranges, Athena melon, and apples with raspberries and strawberries to make a refreshing treat.  I finished the salad with lemon and lime zest and a drizzle of honey.  It was light, refreshing, and a perfect summer dessert. 

I was excited to get an Athena melon in the box.  I had never heard of one before.  Basically, it just tasted like a cantaloupe.  But it was fun to try something new! 

Ingredients: 
Raspberries
Strawberries
Athena Melon (or Cantelope)
Apple
Orange 
Lemon Zest
Lime Zest
Drizzle Honey 

Fruit Salad


Kale, Green Bell Pepper, & Russets: Kale and Pepper Breakfast Burritos

I have been on a "breakfast burrito" kick lately and thought the kale and green pepper would go perfectly in one!  And they did!  I sauteed the kale and green pepper in butter before adding the eggs.  The pepper browned and the kale turned crispy, a perfect complement to the soft eggs.  Served on a freshly cooked tortilla with avocado, salsa, sour cream, and hash browns, a breakfast burrito doesn't get much better than this!  My recipe inspiration below!

Recipe Inspiration: Here

Kale and Bell Pepper Breakfast Burrito 


How did I do with this week's produce?  What would you have made?  Let me know your ideas and if you recreate any of the recipes above! 


More links:
  • My Perfectly Imperfect Produce Referral Link: Here
  • Morgan's Boxes 1-20:  Check out what I did with my Boxes 1-20!
  • Follow me on Instagram: @lemonandbutterlove






Comments

Popular Posts