Perfectly Imperfect Produce: Box #20

Perfectly Imperfect Produce: Box #20

Perfectly Imperfect Produce Small Mixed Box 

A colorful week of produce!  Look at the color on those radishes... wow!  Plus, yummy strawberries, red bell peppers, and cherry tomatoes were quite the treat.  Check out what I did with the surprise box of produce below! 

  • See my past 19 boxes: Here
  • My Perfectly Imperfect Produce Referral Link: Here
  • Check out my page on Instagram: @lemonandbutterlove

What's in the box?

Apples
Yellow Onion 
Red Bell Peppers
Clementines 
Peppers
Sugar Snap Peas
Lemons 
Heirloom Tomato 
Radishes
Carrots 
Russet Potatoes
Broccoli 
Oranges 
Cherry Tomatoes 
Strawberries 


Sugar Snap Peas: Cheater Coconut Summer Shrimp

I love coconut shrimp, especially baked instead of fried coconut shrimp, as I feel healthier when eating it!  But sometimes coconut shrimp becomes labor-intensive.  Solution?  This Cheater Coconut Summer Shrimp.  No breading required but still all the yumminess of coconut shrimp!  Yay!  Crunchy coconut rice, sauteed sugar snap peas, perfectly cooked shrimp, toasted coconut topping, and a lot of lime juice is the perfect summer meal.  While it might require a couple different pots/pans for cooking, the recipe isn't hard and tastes amazing!  Recipe below!

Recipe: Here

Cheater Coconut Shrimp


Radishes, Lemons, Carrots, & Onion: Roasted Chicken with Vegetables
Recipe: Here

Does anyone else find roasted chicken a hard, intimidating dish?  For a long time, I did!  It wasn't until I roasted my own chicken, and it turned out *amazing,* that I jumped on the "roasted chicken bandwagon."  Roasting your own chicken is so easy, and you feel very accomplished when it comes out of the oven perfectly golden brown.  Plus, it falls apart and is so flavorful.  I would definitely recommend giving it a try!

I bought my chicken at Costco for $0.99 per pound... you can't beat that price!  You can even use the leftover chicken bones to make your own chicken broth.  Or you can just take off all the meat and have a yummy dinner!  Ina Garten from Food Network is the queen of roasting chickens.  Her recipe is below!

Recipe: Here
*Tweaks:  I also roasted carrots along with the radishes.  Yum!

Roasted Chicken with Radishes and Carrots


Cherry Tomatoes:  Spinach Salad with Leftover Roast Chicken

Summer screams salads to me!  My favorite combination right now is a bed of spinach topped with berries, chicken, and avocado, all drizzled with a splash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  Yum!  This time I added the cherry tomatoes and parmesan cheese, which both complimented the salad.  This dish is easy, healthy, refreshing, cool, and a perfect use of the leftover chicken from the roasted chicken above.  Let me know your favorite combination!

Ingredients:  Spinach, avocado, strawberries, cherry tomatoes, parmesan cheese, olive oil, balsamic vinegarette, freshly cracked black pepper

Spinach Salad

Broccoli & Onion: Porcupine Meatballs with Broccoli

Before you turn away from these porcupine meatballs, I just want to inform you that the meat is not actually from a porcupine!  These meatballs are stuffed with hamburger, onion, and rice, and when you cook them, the rice puffs, turning each meatball into a porcupine.  I grew up on these meatballs, and they are absolutely one of my favorites!  They are comfort food to the max, and I guarantee you and your family will love them.  Broccoli and potatoes are the perfect side dishes.  Yum!  Recipe below!

Recipe: Here

Porcupine Meatballs



Strawberries: Chocolate Covered Strawberries

Who doesn't love perfect chocolate covered strawberries?  Sweet strawberries covered in semi-sweet chocolate and drizzled with white chocolate is an indulgent combination.  Plus, they are so easy to make!  Here's how I did it below!
  • Step 1: Wash your strawberries and let them dry on paper towels.  If they are wet, the chocolate won't stick! 
  • Step 2:  Once the strawberries are dry, melt your semi-sweet chocolate.  (My favorite brands are Bakers Melting Chocolate and Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Melting Wafers.  They have instructions on their packages of how to melt the chocolate in the microwave.)  I run the microwave in 20-second intervals, stirring with a spoon every 20 seconds.  This way, the chocolate doesn't get too hot. 
  • Step 3: Dip the strawberries in the melted chocolate, then transfer onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  
  • Step 4:  Once all the strawberries are dipped in the dark/semi-sweet chocolate, melt your white chocolate.  (This is my favorite: Ghiradelli White Melting Wafers.)  
  • Step 5:  Using a fork, drizzle the white chocolate over the strawberries.  The dark chocolate should have slightly hardened, so the white chocolate should sit on top.  For a more professional look, you can put the melted white chocolate in a sandwich-sized ziplock bag, cut the tip off with scissors, and then drizzle the white chocolate over the strawberries.  I find a fork works great. 
  • Step 6:  Let the strawberries set up in the fridge (for about 30 mins,) and then you are ready to enjoy!  Easy! 
Chocolate Covered Strawberries


Peppers, Heirloom Potato, Russet Potatoes: Breakfast for Dinner

Breakfast for dinner is always a winner!  Growing up, my favorite part of breakfast for dinner was the crispy, buttery hashbrowns.  My mom would grate a russet potato directly into a pan of hot butter and just let them crisp.  Flip them and add salt and pepper, and you have the perfect hashbrowns... yum!  So this week, I recreated the hashbrowns and then made a sausage omelet with peppers to complement the potatoes.   What's your favorite breakfast for dinner?

Omelet inspiration: Here

Crispy Hashbrowns with Sausage Veggie Omelette 


Red Bell Peppers: Doctored Tomato Soup

Sunday night, I was craving tomato soup with grilled cheese; however, I didn't have all the ingredients to make tomato soup from scratch.  But I did have a can of Campbell's Tomato Soup, which, if I'm honest, is not my favorite food.  My goal was to "doctor" up this tomato soup to make it taste good... and it happened!  Who knew that adding some extra ingredients would turn this boring can of soup into the perfect "grilled-cheese sandwich dipping" soup.  I will definitely be doctoring up canned soup over and over again!  How I did it below!

Recipe: Here

Doctored Tomato Soup


Clementines, Oranges, and Apples: Snacks

We enjoyed the clementines, oranges, and apples as snacks this week.  Yum!



How did I do with this week's produce?  What would you have made?  Let me know your ideas and if you recreate any of the recipes above! 


More links:
  • My Perfectly Imperfect Produce Referral Link: Here
  • Morgan's Boxes 1-19:  Check out what I did with my Boxes 1-19!
  • Follow me on Instagram: @lemonandbutterlove


Comments

Popular Posts