Morgan's Favorite Places to Eat in Provo, UT

Morgan's Favorite Places to Eat in Provo, UT


Hello everyone!  It's been a while since I have posted.  But don't worry... I have still been finding favorite recipes and new places to eat.  Expect many new blog posts coming soon!

Well, we did it.  My husband and I made it through our time in Provo.  BYU was hard, way hard.  I am glad we are done, but I will miss some of my favorite places to eat.  I can definitely say that cooking and finding good food in Provo helped me find joy in the college journey.  Here are four of my favorite places to eat in Provo.

1. Shirley's Bakery and Cafe

1620 Freedom Blvd 200 W, Provo, UT 84604
http://www.shirleysbakeryinc.com

My sister and I stumbled upon this cute bakery/cafe during my freshman year.  Ever since, Shirley's has been my go-to restaurant for comfort food.  Known for their dinner and cinnamon rolls, Shirley's is a happening place in the mornings, especially around the holidays.  However, in the middle of the afternoon to early evening, Shirley's turns a bit quieter and is the perfect place to enjoy a yummy meal.  With a variety of homemade soups, tall sandwiches, hot paninis, and loaded salads, Shirley's is sure to have something for you.

One thing that I love about Shirley's is the quality of their ingredients and the amount they use.  Rather than using lunch meats, Shirley's turkey is pulled and their ham is roasted.  I love their salad green mix and freshly baked bread for sandwiches.  While their dishes may be on the simpler side, each ingredient is done right and piled high, making each dish absolutely delicious.

Favorite Salad: Chicken Mandarin Salad

My favorite salad at Shirley's is the Chicken Mandarin Salad.  The crisp green mix with grilled chicken, creamy avocado, shredded mozzarella, sweet craisins, candied walnuts, mandarin oranges, crispy bacon, all covered in the most delicious raspberry poppy seed dressing is the absolute perfect combination.

Favorite Sandwich/Panini: Turkey Pesto

I am not usually a fan of paninis, but I love this one.  This panini is made of the yummiest pulled turkey, fresh tomato, baby spinach, mozzarella cheese, and perfect pesto all between two slices of the lightest French bread.  The sides of chips and a crisp pickle complete the dish.  Highly recommend.

Favorite Soups:  Butternut Squash, Minestrone, and Chicken Noodle

The soups at Shirley's are so comforting, especially during the winter.  Served with a Shirley's roll, every soup is packed full of ingredients and very satisfying.
During the fall months, Shirley's makes the most delicious Butternut Squash Soup.  It's creamy with a bit of a kick.  My husband and I have tried to recreate it and have failed each time.  This soup is just that good.
I also love their Minestrone soup.  It has a bit of a kick and is full of noodles and vegetables.  In addition, I can't forget Shirley's Chicken Noodle soup.  Again, this soup is full of noodles and chicken.  This is no "just broth" soup.  Every time I get sick, this is the only thing I want.


 Chicken Noodle Soup with Hard Roll


 Butternut Squash Soup with Wheat (left) and Hard rolls (right)

Minestrone and Butternut Squash Soup with Wheat (left) and Hard Roll (right)

Favorite Roll:  Hard Rolls

From the sweet to dinner to wheat to hard, all the rolls at Shirley's are delicious; however, the hard rolls are my favorite.  They are perfect to dip in soup or just to eat with a pad of butter.  My husband and I constantly bought a dozen and then cooked with them in our own kitchen.  The hard rolls are the perfect buns for a homemade french dip or to eat on the side of Sunday dinner.

Favorite Bread: Wheat 

After spending time in Vienna, I am always dreaming of the bakeries in Europe.  While Shirley's has a different style, their wheat bread is "Morgan approved."  Shirley's wheat bread is light and the perfect amount of sweetness.  We used it all the time for toast and sandwiches.  Delicious!

2. Hruska's Kolaches

434 W Center Street, Provo, UT 84601
http://hruskaskolaches.com

My husband and I discovered Hruska's Kolaches late into our Provo adventure, which was probably a good thing because we would have eaten here way too often!  Hruska's Kolaches is absolutely AMAZING.  A kolache is a Czech pastry filled with a sweet or savory filling.  Hruska's bakes both Monday through Saturday from 6:30-11AM.  Featured on Food Network's Diners Drive-Ins & Dives, Hruska's is a small bakery located on Center Street.  Only open in the mornings, the kolaches fly off the shelves.  My favorite is when you get a sizzling hot one right off the baking tray.  The kolaches are hot, filled, and the perfect breakfast.  My personal favorites are the savory ones but my husband loves the sweet ones too.

Birthday Breakfast at Hruska's Kolaches

Favorite Savory Kolache: Bacon, Egg, and Cheese

The Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Kolache is scrumptious.  The filling is cooked perfectly, and the pastry/roll on the outside is browned to perfection.  While an "omelet inside of a roll" sounds kind of weird, it absolutely works!  My husband and I also tried to recreate these at home, and we did not get even close.  There is something magical about these kolaches.  If you are ever in Provo in the morning, stop by Hruskas!  Also, expect a line because kolaches are a Provo favorite.

 Bacon, Egg, and Cheese filled Kolache


Favorite Sweet Kolache: Raspberry

The sweet kolaches at Hruska's are delicious.  The pastry filled with cream and fruit reminds me of a Czech version of a danish pastry.  I personally like the Czech version even better!  The raspberry kolache is filled with cream and a tart raspberry filling, the perfect balance of sweet and tart.  If you like a sweet pastry in the morning, this one is for you!

Two Savory Kolaches (middle and right) and a Mixed Berry Sweet Kolache (left)



3. Bombay House

463 N University Ave, Provo, UT 84601
https://bombayhouse.com

The moment you walk into Bombay House your senses are hit with the smell of warm spices and delicious food.  The culture continues to dazzle as you hear Indian music and enjoy the decore. Bombay House serves the yummiest Indian food.  From the imported rice to the hot naan to the creamiest sauces, Bombay House will make your tummy happy.  My suggestion is to go on a weekday because they do not take reservations.  Trust me, it is a popular place, so try to beat the crowds.

Before Bombay House, I hadn't been introduced to Indian food.  Once introduced to Bombay House, I was hooked.  Every time I finished eating, I was just simply happy.  I simply could not wipe the smile off my face.  I love taking leftovers home because it is even better the next day.  The spices have even more time to marry, thus, deepening the flavor.  After our experience at Bombay House, my husband and I went to the kitchen to recreate the recipes.  Our re-creations were good (I will post them soon), but there is nothing like going to Bombay House for the total experience.

Favorite Chicken Dish: Bollywood Chicken served Mild

Bombay House has many different meat options including chicken, shrimp, and lamb.  I am partial to the chicken, but they are all delicious.  In addition, you choose how spicy you want each dish.  I enjoy both the medium and mild levels of heat.  However, I prefer mild as you can taste each spice better without the dish being overpowered by heat.  My absolute favorite dish at Bombay House is their Bollywood Chicken served mild.  Tender pieces of chicken with potatoes and pineapple combined with a warm blend of spices create flavors that are perfectly balanced.  Dipping the regular naan in the sauce literally will make you melt with happiness.  Served over the flavorful basmati rice, you will be wanting more.

 Bollywood Chicken with Regular Naan and Basmati Rice

Bollywood Chicken (left) and Shrimp Tikka Masala (right) with Regular Naan and Basmati Rice



4. Five Sushi Brothers

445 Freedom Blvd 200 W, Provo, UT 84601
https://fivesushibrothers.com

Five Sushi Brothers definitely belongs in a college town.  While it might not be 100% authentic to Japan, it sure tastes good, and they do an excellent job with their sushi rolls.  Known for their late-night sushi, delivery, and affordable prices, Five Sushi Bros is a Provo favorite.   In this small restaurant, you can order sushi rolls with clever names and then play Super Smash Brothers in the corner while they make your rolls.  My husband and I usually order take out, but the vibe of the restaurant is definitely quirky and fun.  Now that we are no longer in Provo, I am sure going to miss Five Sushi Brothers.

Favorite Roll: Dylan from Vegas and the Lemon Roll

Let's just say that my husband and I have tried almost everything on the menu, and it is all good.  There is just something about this place that is addicting, and we sure love our sushi date nights.  While everything is yummy, it seems we always came back to two rolls: Dylan from Vegas and the Lemon Roll.  Both are delicious.  The Dylan is a spin on the classic Vegas roll: crab, salmon, avocado, and cream cheese wrapped in sushi rice and seaweed then tempura fried.  I am not one for fried food, but I love this roll.  Dipping the roll in soy sauce and wasabi transports me into sushi happiness.  Another favorite is the Lemon Roll: crab, avocado, and cucumber center topped with seared salmon and lemon slices.  We love lemon and salmon, and this roll is light and refreshing.  Highly recommend.




Now onto a different city, I will miss my favorite places in Provo.  If you are ever in Provo, I hope you get to try them!  Please let me know if you do!






Comments

Popular Posts