BR's Chocolate Chip Ice Cream - America's Stracciatella

Stracciatella in Xanten, Germany

Baskin Robbins' Chocolate Chip Ice Cream - America's Stracciatella

Every time I come back from Europe, I am excitedly asked about my favorite parts.   Along with the people I have met, the memories I have made, and the experiences I had, my answer is the ice cream.  I usually get a couple surprised looks and then they ask, "Well, what is so amazing about the ice cream?"

The ice cream in Europe, technically called gelato, is 100 times better than the ice cream we have here in the states.  Even the companies that claim they sell gelato in the grocery store, do not compare to the freshly made ice cream in Europe.  I love how the European shops display their ice cream in an impressive fashion (as seen above) and how they give you a hefty ball, yes a ball not a scoop, for about one Euro, which is around $1.20 or so, depending on the exchange rates.  Once the creamy European gelato hits your mouth, there is no going back to the American brands.

My favorite flavor of European ice cream is Stracciatella.  With a sweet cream almost vanilla type base with big flakes of dark chocolate, Stracciatella is the perfect ice cream.  The flavor is delicate and can be overshadowed if paired with a stronger flavor like chocolate; however, when eaten by itself, it is the perfect dessert.  Whether I am in Vienna, Xanten, Oberammergau, or Florence, Stracciatella is always my go-to flavor.

Once back in America, I crave Stracciatella.  The closest thing I have found in America is Baskin Robbins' Chocolate Chip ice cream.  The quality of Baskin Robbins' ice cream is high, and the taste is close.  While it is not exactly the same, I often go to Baskin Robbins to remind myself of my favorite dessert.  If you ever want a hint of what European ice cream is like, and Europe is just too far away, I would recommend Baskin Robbins' Chocolate Chip.  Guten Appetit!


Baskin Robbins' Chocolate Chip

 

Comments

Popular Posts